Our paddling season typically runs from April 1 to September 30.
There are 70 scheduled practices for the 2014 season!!
We practice on the South and North Thompson rivers.
Wonder what the weather will be like for practice? Check the Local forecast.
First Practice: Monday April 7, 2014
Regular weekly practice schedule:
Monday 5:15 PM warm-up, on the water by 5:30 PM
Wednesday 6:15 PM warm-up, on the water by 6:30 PM
Saturday: 9:15 AM warm-up, on the water by 9:30 AM
8:15 AM warm-up, on the water by 8:30 AM (as of May 10th).
Note: there are no practices on the Saturdays of long weekends
For 2014 – No Saturday practice on April 19, May 17, August 2 and August 30
Spring & Falltime Paddling:
It is important to dress properly for any sports activity you participate in so that you feel comfortable and have a great experience. Paddling on the Thompson Rivers March-May and Sept. can be a chilly event some days so consider the following before you come out to practice.
- Dress in layers. This way if you get hot you can take a layer off. If you get cold you can put a layer back on. Wicking materials are a great choice for water sports as they will wick away moisture from your body and dry quickly unlike cotton.
- With any water sport it is a good idea to wear a waterproof and\or windproof layer to help prevent getting cold and wet.
- Wear footwear that can get wet. Your feet will get wet each practice when loading and unloading the boats at the launch. Waterproof socks are a great asset in springtime to keep feet warm. An old pair of runners and socks can work good too-but be ready to get them wet.
- Paddling in the spring and fall can be cold on your hands. Waterproof gloves are an option to keep hands a bit warmer.
- Drinking plenty of water is always important when you are active. Even if it is cold out your body requires hydration. Bring a water bottle to every practice.
- Have a snack before you exercise so you have energy for your workout.
- Sunscreen, wicking clothing, sun glasses, sandals, a hat and water are all necesities on the river during the hot summer months.
- Drink lots of water before, during and after practice to ensure you are properly hydrated. Bring water to every practice.
- Have a snack before you exercise to ensure you have the energy to get the job done.
Cancellation of Practices:
Please check this website for any changes to our practices due to weather and water conditions. Long weekends and festivals may see cancellation of scheduled practices. Please check the website or KDBC content boards at the club compound for related information.
How to Find Us:
All practices are held at the Kamloops Dragon Boat Club (KDBC) compound located at the east end of Pioneer Park on the South Thompson River.
PO Box 302, Station Main
Kamloops, BC V2C 5K9